Says PTI was offered to hold protest at Sanjgani instead of D-Chowk in return for concessions for PTI founder
PML-N leader Rana Sanaullah. PHOTO: Express
Prime Minister’s Advisor on Political Affairs Rana Sanaullah on Wednesday claimed that during the November 2024 Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) protest, party founder Imran Khan had initially agreed to hold talks and not protest at D-Chowk but later withdrew, adding that it was a missed opportunity for his release.
In an interview on private media’s ‘Capital Talk’ show, Sanaullah revealed that the government, including Interior Minister Naqvi, had made an offer to Imran, proposing that the party hold its planned sit-in in November 2024 at Sangjani instead of marching to D-Chowk.
“He (Imran Khan) was given wise advice, and Mohsin Naqvi was directly engaged in negotiations with him, telling him not to come towards Islamabad or go to D-Chowk, but to sit at Sangjani and hold negotiations there. Initially, Imran Khan agreed to this, but after agreeing, he backed down and said that Bushra Bibi would decide. Then she took the decision that they would go to D-Chowk,” a Sanaullah said.
He explained that if Imran had agreed, he would have obtained concessions, adding that the decision had led to a missed opportunity for his release.
Asked if Imran would have said he didn’t want to come out, Sanaullah replied: “You can say that. »
The prime minister’s aide said the PTI founder could have secured his release from Adiala jail if the party had chosen a more peaceful line of action during its 2024 protest.
Sanaullah noted that the PTI had miscalculated the potential outcome of its street agitation, thinking it would trigger a revolution. “They thought the street movement would cause a revolution,” he added.
“Imran Khan wants to be released from prison; he does not want to stay in prison for a single day,” Sanaullah continued. “However, the PTI and Imran Khan misjudged the situation. They were under the illusion that their February 8 strike against wheel locks would have a significant impact.”
The Prime Minister’s aide also alleged that Imran was no longer taking decisions for the PTI independently. Instead, he claimed that Imran’s wife, Bushra Bibi, wielded influence over party decisions. “Imran fully followed his wife’s advice when he was prime minister, and he still listens to her today,” Sanaullah said. He rejected allegations that Imran resisted his family’s influence on party decisions.
Referring to the PTI’s announcement earlier in the day of another street agitation after Eid, he said, “It is understood that Imran’s meeting will be disrupted during Ramazan following the announcement of launching the street movement.”
He further pointed out that the PTI leadership did not have the capacity to launch a successful street movement for Imran’s release. He warned that they would be dealt with accordingly if they tried to create chaos.
Sanaullah said the PTI’s proposed move after Eid was a “conspiracy” against Imran and the party, adding that the PTI founder was living in good conditions in jail and receiving quality treatment. He also referred to the PTI’s February 8 strike call over wheel locks, which he said had received a poor response.
The PM’s aide also advised the PTI to hold talks with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, who had invited them for discussions on the country’s stability. “They can get concessions if they take positive initiatives for the development of the country,” he said, adding that street protests and sit-ins only further complicate the situation.
He criticized PTI for complaining about Imran missing his family and PTI leaders. “The PTI itself was responsible for the situation due to its use of derogatory language after the meeting with Imran,” Sanaullah bit.
“If these meetings were not used for abuses against the state and its institutions or for below-the-belt propaganda, then who was stopping them from holding these meetings? he asked.




