Anderson Cooper prepares to retire 60 minutes after almost 20 years as a correspondent, marking an important moment for the long history CBS News released amid ongoing unrest within the company.
The veteran journalist, who balanced his role on the Sunday night newsmagazine and his full-time job at CNNhas chosen not to renew its agreement with CBS Newsaccording to people familiar with the decision.
Its final segment, a profile of documentary filmmaker Ken Burns, aired Sunday.
In a statement, Anderson Cooper said the decision was deeply personal.
“Be corresponding to 60 minutes was one of the great honors of my career. I got to tell incredible stories and work with some of the best producers, editors and crews in the business.
For almost twenty years, I have managed to combine my jobs at CNN And CBSbut I have little kids now and I want to spend as much time with them as possible, while they still want to spend time with me.
Cooper joined 60 minutes during the 2006-2007 season, becoming one of the few journalists to hold leading roles on both network and cable television.
Over the years, his reporting for the program earned him several Emmy Awards, including stories on jazz prodigy Joey Alexander and African inmates whose music won a Grammy.
Even though Cooper recently signed a new deal to stay CNNwhere his work includes Anderson Cooper 360°, the long-running series The whole story and the podcast All there ishis departure from 60 minutes comes at a difficult time for CBS News.
The program has been caught up in broader corporate and editorial conflicts related to the sale of Paramount Global to Skydance.
Last year, 60 minutes has become the focus of a legal battle after Donald Trump sued the show over edits made to an interview with Kamala Harris.
Although CBS News Lawyers considered the case to be without merit, Paramount ultimately agreed to a $16 million settlement, seen internally as necessary to avoid regulatory hurdles.
During this period, executive producer Bill Owens resigned, followed later by Wendy McMahon, head of the news division.
Editorial tensions continued more recently when a report on deportations to El Salvador was withdrawn after being promoted.
The correspondent concerned criticized the decision as political rather than editorial. The segment ultimately aired weeks later with additional context, but without comment from a Trump administration official.
The changes occurred under the leadership of Bari Weiss, the current editor-in-chief of CBS Newswhose efforts to reshape the division drew criticism from some staffers and contributed to unease within the newsroom.
In a statement acknowledging Cooper’s departure, CBS News said: “For more than two decades, Anderson Cooper has taken 60 minutes viewers traveling to distant countries, told us unforgettable stories, reported on substantial investigations and interviewed numerous personalities.
We are grateful to him for dedicating so much of his life to this show and understand the importance of spending more time with family. 60 minutes will be there if he ever wants to come back.
Cooper appeared briefly on the program during his Last minute segment Sunday, and while it’s unclear if this will be his last on-air moment this season, his departure removes one of the show’s most recognizable faces.
For now, Cooper remains firmly rooted in CNNwhile 60 minutes continues to go through a period of uncertainty behind the scenes.




