Iran’s foreign minister says nuclear talks with US have made progress

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi addresses a special session of the Conference on Disarmament at the United Nations on the sidelines of U.S.-Iran talks in Geneva, Switzerland, February 17, 2026. — Reuters
  • Araghchi says progress has been made on key guiding principles.
  • Calls on the United States to stop threatening force against Iran.
  • Hopes that the talks will result in a lasting and negotiated solution.

GENEVA: Iran and the United States reached agreement on key “guiding principles” during a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva on Tuesday, but more work needs to be done, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said.

This progress does not mean a deal will be reached soon, but the path has begun, he told Iranian media after the talks concluded.

Iranian state media reported earlier that Iran would temporarily close part of the Strait of Hormuz, a vital route for global oil supplies, as it discusses its nuclear program with the United States, which has sent a combat force to the Gulf region to pressure Tehran into concessions.

US President Donald Trump said “regime change” in Tehran could be the best thing that could happen, while Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Tuesday that any US attempt to overthrow his government would fail.

As negotiations began in Geneva, Iranian state media reported that parts of the strategic strait would be closed for a few hours due to “security precautions” while Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards conducted military exercises there.

Tehran has in the past threatened to close the strait to commercial shipping if attacked, a move that would choke off a fifth of global oil flows and drive up crude prices.

Alongside Araghchi, US envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner participated in the Geneva talks, mediated by Oman, a source briefed on the matter said. Reuters.

Speaking at a disarmament conference in Geneva after talks earlier in the day between U.S. and Iranian representatives in the French-speaking Swiss city, Araghchi said the United States should immediately stop threatening force against Iran.

He said any lasting agreement must ensure full recognition of Iran’s legitimate rights.

Araghchi said: “A new window of opportunity has opened, we hope that the negotiations will lead to a lasting and negotiated solution. »

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top