Czech hockey coach Radim Rulik condemns referees after Canada defeat

NEWYou can now listen to PK Press Club articles!

Czech Republic men’s Olympic hockey coach Radim Rulik has condemned the referees for officiating Wednesday’s men’s Olympic quarterfinals between his team and Canada.

Rulik spoke out after his team’s 4-3 overtime loss, saying referees were “afraid to call” penalties against Canada.

“I feel like everyone is afraid to criticize Canada,” Rulik told reporters, according to a translation of his post-match interview.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON PK Press Club

Sidney Crosby, Tomas Hertl during the Men’s Qualifiers Quarterfinal match between Canada and Chechia on the twelfth day of the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics at the Milano Santagiulia Ice Hockey Arena on February 18, 2026 in Milan, Italy. (Andrzej Iwanczuk/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

“The referees really worry me. What they are allowing against us is unacceptable,” Rulik added. “After every match we send them two or three clips where they confirm that the opponent should have been penalized. I don’t understand. I just don’t understand.”

During the third period, when the Czech Martin Nečas was about to go on a breakaway, the Canadian Devon Toews seemed to catch him in the neutral zone, but no penalty was called.

“I watch two NHL games on replay every day,” Rulik continued. “The play Necas made today — when his stick was hit on the breakaway — is always a penalty in the NHL. But so, not here. I’m really sorry about that. The guys deserved a high-level performance from the referees.

Learn more about the 2026 Winter Olympics

“They always admit after the fact that we were right, but nothing ever changes. We should have had power plays against Canada. But they were afraid [David Pastrnak] or Necas would score another goal on the power play. What if [Radko] Gudas was penalized, so Doughty should have been too for the hit on Pasta. »

CANADA FACES NEW ALLEGATIONS OF CHEATING IN MILAN CORTINA AS OLYMPIC CURLING CONTROVERSY GROWS

Milan Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics, ice hockey, Olympia, Canada – Czech Republic, final round, quarter-finals, coach Radim Rulik (Czech Republic) follows the action. (Peter Kneffel/photo alliance via Getty Images)

Rulik had already criticized the referees for officiating his team’s victory against Denmark earlier this week.

“We were basically playing against six players,” he said. “I don’t want to make excuses, and no one has to agree with me, but the video reassures me. In this regard, it’s not a fair tournament. This happened to us even against Denmark. The mix of referees from the NHL and Europe didn’t work – everyone calls the game differently.”

Canada was embroiled in an Olympic scandal at the Milan Cortina Olympics when its men’s and women’s curling teams were accused of cheating during events last week.

When Canada beat Sweden 8-6 on February 13, Third Canadian Marc Kennedy and Swede Oskar Eriksson became involved after Eriksson accused Kennedy of an illegal procedure called double contact with stones after releasing them on the hog line.

Kennedy shouted, “I haven’t done it once. You can go away,” to Eriksson.

Kennedy and a team official later made allegations against Swedes for inappropriately filming her giving birth.

“This was planned from the start yesterday. From the words their coaches were saying and the way they were running toward the officials, it was obvious something was going on, and they were trying to catch us in the act,” Kennedy said.

Curling Canada CEO Nolan Thiessen told reporters he believed the video was filmed outside of strict Olympic filming rules.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PK Press Club APP

Ben Hebert of Canada, Brad Jacobs of Canada and Brett Gallant of Canada compete in the men’s curling round robin between Canada and Sweden during the Milan Cortina 2026 Winter Olympics at the Cortina Olympic Curling Stadium in Cortina d’Ampezzo on February 13, 2026. (Tiziana FABI / AFP)

“I was surprised that there was live video on the hog line outside of the OBS rules,” Thiessen said. “That seems strange to me.”

Meanwhile, on the women’s side, Canadian curler Rachel Homan had her stone removed after an official ruled she hit it again after releasing the handle. Homan protested, but under World Curling rules there is no official replay and the official’s final decision stands.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top