Leh garbage dumping continues unabated

Illegal practice reduces key drain from 350 feet to nearly 50 feet ahead of monsoon

The continued dumping of construction materials, garbage, soil and waste in Nullah Leh raises serious questions about the authorities’ ability to enforce restrictions imposed under Section 144. PHOTOS: EXPRESS

RAWALPINDI:

As the monsoon flood season approaches, the departments concerned have so far failed to ensure the removal of silt, waste and construction materials from Nullah Leh and the 15 storm drains that pass through the city.

Due to negligence and alleged connivance of authorities and police, heavy carts, trailers and trucks are continuously dumping tons of soil, construction debris and garbage in Nullah Leh near the dangerous Ganjmandi Bridge, despite the official ban.

As a result, piles of soil, garbage and construction materials have accumulated on both sides of the drain and the width of Nullah Leh, once measuring between 300 and 350 feet, has been reduced to nearly 50 feet, raising fears of devastating floods during this year’s monsoon.

The automatic flood warning system installed at Nullah Leh is also non-functional and has not been restored yet. Under Section 144, it is prohibited to dump construction materials, garbage and waste into Nullah Leh and storm drains. However, despite the ban, carts laden with construction debris and urban waste continue to dump materials into the drains near the historic Ganjmandi Bridge.

Every day, dozens of trolleys dump garbage, debris and debris into Nullah Leh and other storm drains near Ganjmandi Bridge, Dhoke Ratta, City Saddar Road and Gawalmandi Bridge. Later, millions of rupees are sought to clear the same debris and waste.

This year too, a total of Rs150 million has been requested for desilting and cleaning of Nullah Leh and 15 storm drains.

WASA demanded Rs 80 million for Nullah Leh while Rs 70 million was sought for 15 storm drains. The Punjab government had been asked to release the funds urgently, after which announcements were made that the sand removal work would begin from May 1.

However, since May 15, dumping of earth, construction debris and garbage continues at Nullah Leh near Ganjmandi Bridge, adjacent to Ganjmandi police station, in the densely populated central area of ​​the city. Trash and debris are rapidly consuming the width of the drain, reducing it to nearly 50 feet, a situation that could trigger severe flooding during pre-monsoon and heavy monsoon rains.

Traders of Ganjmandi market and nearby residents announced a protest demonstration against the situation on Friday.

Traders and residents Faiz Ahmed, Rashid Khan and Haji Banaras said tonnes of construction materials and soil were being dumped in Nullah Leh despite the presence of a police station nearby and legal restrictions.

They said the flood season had already started and it was time to clear the drainage channel of silt and waste, but instead, piles of debris, waste land and construction materials had formed at different places of the drainage channel.

They warned that poor planning, narrowing of the drain and significant encroachments along its banks had created serious flood risks this year.

They further alleged that despite a stay order from the court, a two-storey market was constructed on government land near Ganjmandi bridge, while sewerage lines were also laid there and adjoining shops, which could trigger fresh flood and further narrow the drain.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top