ISLAMABAD:
Pakistan, along with other regional countries, is reportedly pushing for a “standby deal” to formally end the war between Iran and the United States while establishing a framework to resolve contentious issues that continue to divide Tehran and Washington, it was reported Thursday.
As part of these efforts, Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi continued his engagements in Tehran on his second visit in days, speaking with key Iranian figures, including Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi and Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni.
Iranian state media IRNA reported that Naqvi also met with President Masoud Pezeshkian, who reviewed the latest regional developments and diplomatic consultations related to the Iran-US talks.
According to the Iranian side, President Pezeshkian appreciated Pakistan’s role and support for regional stability and constructive engagement.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry separately confirmed that Tehran is currently considering a new US proposal to end the war.
Diplomatic sources said that unlike previous proposals, the latest initiative aimed to break the current impasse through what President Trump had previously described as a “letter of intent”, in reality a relief agreement intended to provide a way out for both sides.
The proposal essentially aims to bring a formal end to hostilities while establishing a broader framework for negotiations on unresolved disputes.
However, one of the main sticking points remains the status of the Strait of Hormuz.
The United States, Gulf countries and other states dependent on this key shipping route want the strait returned to its pre-war status to ensure uninterrupted global energy supplies.
Iran, however, insists that it has sovereign rights over this strategic chokepoint, through which nearly a fifth of the world’s oil reserves pass.
Iranian media also suggested that a senior Pakistani military official could visit Tehran in the coming days to try to finalize the deal.
Islamabad, however, remained tight-lipped and offered no official confirmation regarding a possible visit.
Sources said such a high-level trip would likely only take place if Naqvi’s ongoing engagements produce tangible progress on the diplomatic front.
The US secretary of state also said on Thursday that Pakistani officials would visit Tehran. “So I hope this will move things forward,” he told reporters.
“The president’s preference is to get a good deal, that’s his preference. It’s always been his preference. If we can get a good deal done, that would be great,” Rubio said.
“But if we can’t get a good deal, the president has been clear: he has other options. I’m not going to get into what those options are, but everyone knows what they are.”
He added: “There are some good signs, but… I also don’t want to be too optimistic, so let’s see what happens over the next few days.”
According to observers, the latest proposal for an interim agreement aims to end the perpetual uncertainty that has plagued the region since the outbreak of the conflict.
Without a formal cessation of hostilities, they warn, the region could remain mired in instability as the specter of a new round of war continues to loom.
It is for this reason that Pakistan and several regional players are intensifying their diplomatic efforts to ensure that the current initiative does not fail.




