Secret Service shoots suspect after gunfire erupts outside White House checkpoint

  • The secret services fight back; the alleged attacker dies in hospital.
  • The incident happened near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue.
  • Authorities described the suspect as an “emotionally disturbed person.”

Police and security forces swarmed the White House Saturday evening after shots were fired near the complex, triggering a lockdown and a major response from the U.S. Secret Service and the FBI.

U.S. President Donald Trump was at the White House at the time as he continued diplomatic efforts related to an Iran-related deal, officials said.

Access routes were cordoned off and National Guard troops blocked entry points into downtown Washington, with journalists and passersby ordered to stay away from the area.

According to a US law enforcement official cited by ReutersA person approached a checkpoint at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue near the White House and opened fire on police officers.

The suspect was then “down” and taken to George Washington Hospital, the official said, adding that the suspect’s condition and the exact circumstances of his fall were not immediately clear.

The suspect then died of his injuries in hospital, according to American media.

The official also said the suspect had been identified as an emotionally disturbed person and had already been subject to a “resistance order.”

In a parallel account, Fox News Host Bret Baier, quoting a senior administration official, said a gunman approached the west side of the White House and fired three shots.

The Secret Service agents returned fire, hitting the shooter, and a bystander was also hit during the exchange. He said the shooter did not breach the White House security perimeter.

The FBI said it supported the investigation. Director Kash Patel wrote on X: “The FBI is on scene and supporting the Secret Service in response to the shots fired near the White House. »

Witnesses described scenes of panic. Canadian tourist Reid Adrian said he heard what sounded like “probably 20 to 25” gunshots before people started running.

“It sounded like dozens of gunshots,” said ABC News correspondent Selina Wang, who was filming at the time and captured the moment before diving for cover.

Reporters on the North Lawn were instructed to run and take shelter in the White House press briefing room, according to reporters on site.

A Secret Service spokesperson said the agency was still gathering information as the investigation continued.

Attempts to assassinate Trump

Trump, 79, has been the target of three suspected assassination attempts, the most recent taking place on April 25 when a gunman stormed a security checkpoint at a hotel where Trump was attending a media gala.

The man never approached Trump or other guests attending the event.

In July 2024, Trump was targeted at a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania. A gunman fired several shots, killing a member of the public and lightly injuring the then-candidate in the ear.

A few months later, another gunman was arrested at a West Palm Beach golf course where Trump was playing a round.

“Thank God President Trump is safe,” House Republicans said on X after Saturday night’s shooting.

“Endless gratitude to the Secret Service for their immediate and heroic response. Political violence must stop.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top