TTAP ends protests at Parliament, raises concerns over Imran Khan’s health

Leader of Opposition in Senate Raja Nasir Abbas says family members, medical team should have access to PTI founder

ISLAMABAD:

Opposition Leader in the Senate Allama Raja Nasir Abbas on Wednesday announced the end of a sit-in outside Parliament with the start of Ramadan, while expressing continued concerns over the health of jailed former Prime Minister Imran Khan.

Speaking to reporters outside the Supreme Court, Abbas said the Tehreek-e-Tahaffuz-e-Ain Pakistan (TTAP) protest outside Parliament would be over by the start of the holy month while the party determines its next course of action.

He said the protest was organized to prevent what he described as government negligence and unconstitutional actions, alleging that Parliament was effectively closed, opposition members were arrested and peaceful protests were restricted.

Regarding Khan’s health, Abbas said a medical report had been submitted to the court and confirmed that there had been some improvement in the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) founder’s eyesight, although concerns remained and continued monitoring was needed. He added that his condition was previously critical.

The opposition leader in the Senate also criticized prison authorities for alleged negligence and said legal action was underway. He further stressed that family members and medical professionals should have access to the PTI founder and expressed hope for his full recovery.

Read: TTAP to stage sit-in outside Parliament until meeting with Imran is allowed after vision loss revealed

A day earlier, the TTAP had announced that it would continue the sit-in until a meeting with the PTI founder was ensured and his treatment was ensured after his vision loss was revealed.

The Supreme Court was told that only 15% of Imran’s vision remained in his right eye. The information was conveyed to the apex court by PTI lawyer Salman Safdar, who quoted the former prime minister as saying that he had only 15 per cent vision left in his right eye following medical complications.

The development caused an uproar in the opposition ranks, who criticized the government for allowing Imran’s health to deteriorate to this level.

In an article on

Learn more: Mohsin Naqvi tried harder than anyone to secure Imran Khan’s release, says Gandapur

Meanwhile, former Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Ali Amin Gandapur claimed that Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi had made more efforts than anyone to secure the release of the PTI founder.

Imran, 73, has been imprisoned since August 2023 after convictions that he and the PTI say were politically motivated. Since his ouster in 2022 in a vote of no confidence, he has faced numerous cases, including involving state gifts and an illegal marriage. Some convictions have been suspended or overturned, and appeals are underway. He denies any wrongdoing.

Naqvi has been frequently criticized by Imran and his party amid their tribulations and challenges.

However, during an interview on Nadeem Malik live on a private television channel, Gandapur said: “No one else has made the same level of effort. I have said it before, within the party, and now I am saying it on air: Mohsin Naqvi has made vigorous efforts to resolve the problem. He made more efforts than anyone to ensure the release of Imran Khan.

Learn more: SC orders access to personal doctors, phone calls for Imran Khan in Adiala jail

Raja Nasir to write to foreign agencies on Imran’s health

Earlier, Abbas, during a Senate session, had expressed serious concerns over Imran’s deteriorating health, accusing authorities of failing to provide effective and timely medical care.

In his speech, Abbas said Imran’s vision had been severely affected with his right eye functioning at only 15 per cent capacity after a medical procedure at PIMS Hospital Islamabad earlier this month. He regretted that no proper treatment was provided and highlighted the continued denial of health services to Imran.

He added that if Imran had been allowed to meet his family regularly and the medical examinations had been conducted transparently and the reports made public, the situation might not have escalated to this extent.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top