- Trump must make the final decision on the attack on Iran.
- The White House has been informed of the military buildup in the Middle East.
- Iran must submit a written proposal to ease tensions with the United States.
The US military is ready to carry out possible strikes against Iran this weekend, CNN ” reported citing sources familiar, as Tehran and Russia announced new joint naval exercises in regional waters.
However, according to international media, it is US President Donald Trump who will make the final decision on whether to strike Iran.
This report comes amid talks between the two countries in Geneva, under the aegis of Omani mediation, with the White House confirming “a little progress”, but affirming that distances remained on certain issues. He added that Tehran should come back with more details in a few weeks.
The second round of negotiations took place on Tuesday, after talks collapsed last year following Israel’s attack on Iran in June, which sparked a 12-day war. The talks aimed to rule out the possibility of US military action, as Tehran demands the lifting of US sanctions.
Iran has insisted that discussions be limited to the nuclear issue, although Washington has previously supported Tehran’s ballistic missile program.
Trump has repeatedly threatened military intervention against Iran, first over the deadly crackdown on protesters last month and then more recently over its nuclear program.
According to the CNN report, the White House was informed that the military could be ready to launch a strike by the weekend, after sufficient buildup of air and naval assets in the Middle East.
Meanwhile, the outlet cited another source and claimed that Trump had privately argued both for and against military action and had asked his advisers and allies about the best course of action.
However, Reutersciting an unnamed senior U.S. official, reported that top U.S. national security advisers met in the White House Situation Room on Wednesday to discuss Iran and were briefed that all U.S. military forces deployed to the region should be in place by mid-March, the official said.
“Written proposal”
Reutersciting a US official, also reported that Tehran is expected to submit a written proposal on how to resolve its standoff with the United States following US-Iran talks in Geneva.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio will meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Israel to discuss Iran on February 28, the official said.
Tuesday’s indirect talks in Geneva between US envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, alongside Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi, were aimed at preventing a growing crisis between the two countries.
Iran has agreed to make a written proposal on how to address US concerns at the Geneva talks, the senior US official said. “We are currently expecting this from the Iranians,” the official said.
Trump has ordered a major military buildup in the region as he plans to use force with a second group of aircraft carriers on the way. “The president ordered the continued buildup of forces in the region, including the arrival of the second aircraft carrier group. Full forces are expected to be in place by mid-March,” the senior US official said.
“Naval exercises”
As part of negotiations with the United States, Iran announced on Thursday the conduct of joint naval exercises with Russia in the Arabian Sea and the northern Indian Ocean, Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency reported, days after the Revolutionary Guards conducted military exercises in the Strait of Hormuz.
“Creating convergence and coordination in joint measures to counter activities threatening maritime security and safety… as well as combating maritime terrorism are among the main objectives of this joint exercise,” Iranian Navy Commander Hassan Maghsoodloo said, according to Fars News.
Additionally, Iran issued a Notice to Airmen (Notam) on Thursday saying it planned to launch rockets in certain areas of its south, the website of the US Federal Aviation Administration showed.
The advisory was issued amid heightened tensions with the United States, which has deployed warships near Iran, as US Vice President JD Vance said Washington was considering whether to continue diplomatic engagement with Tehran or other options.
The Notam system provides pilots, flight crews and other airspace users with critical safety advisories.
— With additional details from Reuters




