Gandapur indicted in audio leak case as Islamabad court suspends arrest warrants

PTI leader appears before judge; the procedure as a declared offender abandoned, the hearing is set for April 6

Former Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Ali Amin Gandapur. Photo: File

ISLAMABAD:

A district and sessions court in Islamabad on Friday indicted former Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (KP) chief minister Ali Amin Gandapur and co-accused Asad Farooq Khan in the audio leak case, while simultaneously suspending Gandapur’s arrest warrants and ending proceedings against him as a proclaimed offender.

Additional District and Sessions Judge Nasr Minallah Baloch conducted the hearing, before which Gandapur, accompanied by his lawyer, advocate Raja Zahoorul Hassan, and co-accused Asad Farooq Khan appeared in person.

Read: Imran to be taken to hospital on February 25 for second injection in eye: Tariq Fazal Chaudhry

The judge questioned Gandapur about his repeated absences from court proceedings. “You have not appeared in court,” the judge said. Gandapur responded that he was unable to attend due to the security situation, adding that roads had been closed and curfew imposed on several occasions. He also claimed that he had only applied for a permit during the call in question and that his mobile phones had been seized during searches.

The court observed that the case had been dragging on for a long time without even charges being framed, and noted that a conviction cannot be obtained at the mere instance of the prosecution if the accused appears before the court.

Learn more: Imran agreed to apologize on May 9 but withdrew, claims Rana Sanaullah

Lawyer Raja formally requested the quashing of the arrest warrants, arguing that the court has the power to do so once an accused appears before it. Justice Baloch agreed, quashing the warrants while putting Gandapur on notice.

“The arrest warrants are being canceled, but be careful in the future and appear in court,” he said. He further ordered that if a similar situation arises, Gandapur should file an application for exemption from appearance rather than remaining absent.

The court adjourned further hearing of the case until April 6.

Read also: PTI agreement: Prime Minister’s aide spills the beans

Last month, the district and sessions court issued non-bailable arrest warrants against Gandapur in the audio leak case, directing the police to arrest him and produce him before the court.

This decision followed his absence from the hearing, which also led the court to take steps to declare him a fugitive.

The case in question was registered against Gandapur under the Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA) at Golra police station. According to sources, the audio of the PTI chief speaking about the collection of arms near Islamabad had also been placed on record and the police sought remand from Gandapur to recover arms.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top