Tarar rejects rumors about raising the minimum voting age to 25

The Minister of Information believes that it is useless to respond to rumors; Khawaja Asif says there is ‘absolutely’ no discussion on amendment

Defense Minister Khawaja Asif (left) and Information Minister Attaullah Tarar. Photo: Files

Federal ministers on Monday denied rumors that the voting age would be raised to 25 under a proposed 28th constitutional amendment, amid strong criticism of such a move.

Information Minister Atta Tarar dismissed rumors that the government was considering raising the minimum voting age to 25, saying there was no need to respond to unverified claims.

“There is no need to respond to rumours. Hundreds of different rumors are circulating and it is not clear who is spreading them,” he said, speaking to journalists.

Tarar added that the bill did not contain any provision relating to the minimum voting age, as reported in the media.

Tarar’s statement comes after Prime Minister’s Advisor on Political Affairs Rana Sanaullah said on Saturday that the government was considering raising the voting age during discussions related to the proposed 28th constitutional amendment.

His suggestions were heavily criticized by politicians and civil society. Asked about it on the private TV show ‘Discussion on the capital“, Defense Minister Khawaja Asif said there was no such thing in the works. “At least I am not aware of any such discussions that have taken place,” he said.

Asked if there had been any discussion on a proposed 28th Amendment in the cabinet, he said: “absolutely not.”

Speaking on a private television show »Jirga“, Sanaullah remained evasive when asked about the proposed 28th constitutional amendment.

Read: No progress on 28th constitutional amendment, says Justice Minister

“It is established that whatever amendment will be made, it will be the 28th amendment because the 27th has already been drafted. So now we should expect the 28th amendment,” he said.

He, however, did not confirm whether such an amendment was under consideration, adding that issues potentially related to a 28th Amendment were of fundamental importance and remained part of the ongoing dialogue between political parties and their leaders.

Replying to a question, he supported Pakistan People’s Party Chairman Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari’s stance that no constitutional amendment could be passed without the support of the ally.

“Yes, absolutely. He’s right that no amendment can be made without them, and he’s also right in that they weren’t informed that we were going to make a 28th Amendment,” he said.

He, however, added that the PPP itself was aware of the problems in question and also had proposals to resolve them.

“The search for consensus has not yet begun. Until there is consensus, no progress will be made towards any amendment,” he said.

Law Azam Nazeer Tarar on Saturday also dismissed speculation about the PML-N-led government’s plans to introduce another package of constitutional amendments, saying there was currently “no sign” of the 28th constitutional amendment. “Any movement towards constitutional changes will only be made after consultation with coalition partners and other stakeholders,” he said.

He said the government operated under a coalition where even ordinary laws required consultations, making constitutional amendments impossible without consensus.

Azam said the consultation process would move forward whenever the coalition parties give a signal.

Read also: PPP scorns government’s 28th adjustment plan

Last week, Bilawal said his party had not been consulted on any proposed constitutional amendments, signaling further tensions within the ruling coalition over key legislative issues and the upcoming federal budget.

Bilawal said that although he and President Asif Ali Zardari remained in touch with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, the government was yet to formally engage the PPP on new legislative projects.

He also highlighted the party’s central role in the coalition’s parliamentary strength, warning that constitutional amendments and the adoption of the budget would not be possible without the support of the PPP.

“The government has not contacted the PPP regarding any new constitutional amendment,” Bilawal said, adding that the party had not been taken into confidence on the issue.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top