Visit will include discussions on US-Iran talks, regional peace and stability
Photo taken and provided by the Iranian Foreign Ministry on April 15, 2026 shows Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (R) welcoming Army Chief Marshal Asim Munir upon his arrival at Tehran airport. Photo: AFP
Chief of Defense Force and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir has left for an official visit to Iran, according to security sources.
Sources said the visit would include discussions on US-Iran negotiations, regional peace and stability, and other issues of mutual interest. During his visit, he is also expected to meet senior Iranian officials and key figures, they added.
Meanwhile, a team of Qatari negotiators also arrived in Tehran on Friday in coordination with the United States to help reach a deal to end the war and resolve outstanding issues, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters.
Read: Rubio says Pakistan remains ‘main interlocutor’ in US-Iran talks
Doha, which has played the role of mediator in the Gaza war and other areas of international tension, had until now distanced itself from playing a mediating role in the Iran war after being attacked by Iranian missiles and drones during the last conflict.
“A Qatari negotiating team is in Tehran on Friday,” the source said, adding that the team had traveled in coordination with the United States and was there to help “reach a final agreement that would end the war and resolve outstanding issues with Iran.”
The Qatari Foreign Ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
While Pakistan has served as an official mediator since the fighting began, Qatar’s reengagement reflects its long-standing role as a U.S. ally in the region and as a conduit of trust between Washington and Tehran.
Last month, CDF Munir concluded a three-day visit to Iran, during which he emphasized the need for dialogue and de-escalation to achieve a peaceful resolution of the US-Iran conflict through diplomatic efforts, the military’s media arm said in a statement.
According to Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), Field Marshal Munir and Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi, accompanied by a delegation, held meetings with Iranian leaders.
“During the visit, the marshal visited Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and had separate meetings with National Assembly Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Khatam al-Anbiya Headquarters Commander General Ali Abdollahi,” the statement said.
فیلڈ مارشل سید عاصم منیر ایران کے سرکاری دورہ پر روانہ ہو گئے ، سیکیورٹی ذرائع
فیلڈ مارشل سید عاصم منیر دورہ ایران کے دوران ایران امریکہ بات چیت ،خطے میں قیام امن اور It’s about self-confidence
دورے کے دوران فیلڈ مارشل سید عاصم منیر اہم اعلی ایرانی شخصیات… pic.twitter.com/3aBgFPSWUD
– PTV News (@PTVNewsOfficial) May 22, 2026
The ISPR said the discussions focused on promoting lasting peace in the region, with particular emphasis on the evolving security environment, ongoing diplomatic engagements and collaborative measures aimed at promoting long-term stability.
“The Marshal stressed the need for dialogue, de-escalation and peaceful resolution of outstanding issues through sustained diplomatic efforts,” the statement added.
According to ISPR, during the visit, the Marshal expressed his deep gratitude for the warm hospitality extended by the Iranian leaders and the Iranian people. He also conveyed the sincere greetings and best wishes of the President, Prime Minister and people of Pakistan to the Iranian leadership, reaffirming Pakistan’s desire to further strengthen the historical and fraternal ties between the two countries.
“This visit reflects Pakistan’s unwavering determination to facilitate a negotiated settlement to the Middle East conflict and promote peace, stability and prosperity in the region,” the statement said.
I am delighted to welcome Marshal Munir to Iran.
Expressed gratitude for Pakistan’s gracious hosting of the dialogue, stressing that it reflects our deep and great bilateral relationship. Our commitment to promoting peace and stability in the region remains strong and shared. pic.twitter.com/e74lm6hL8r
– Seyed Abbas Araghchi (@araghchi) April 15, 2026
Araghchi said he was “delighted” to welcome the marshal during his visit. “We expressed our gratitude for Pakistan’s gracious hosting of the dialogue, emphasizing that it reflects our deep and great bilateral relationship. Our commitment to promoting peace and stability in the region remains strong – and shared.”
US President Donald Trump extended the ceasefire with Iran at the request of Field Marshal Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, saying it would remain in force until the Islamic Republic’s proposal was submitted. In an article on Truth Social, Trump said the decision was made in the context of the situation in Iran and at the request of Pakistani leaders.
“Based on the fact that the Iranian government is seriously fractured, which is not surprising, and at the request of Field Marshal Asim Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif of Pakistan, we have been asked to maintain our attack on Iran until their leaders and representatives can come up with a unified proposal,” he said.
He added that he had asked the U.S. military to maintain readiness while continuing the blockade.
“I have therefore directed our military to continue the blockade and, in all other respects, to remain ready and able, and I will therefore extend the ceasefire until their proposal is submitted and the discussions are concluded, one way or another,” Trump said.
On my own behalf and on behalf of Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, I sincerely thank President Trump for graciously accepting our request for an extension of the ceasefire to allow ongoing diplomatic efforts to take their course.
With the confidence that rests in Pakistan…
– Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) April 21, 2026
Prime Minister Shehbaz responded to Trump in a message on X and offered his thanks.
“On my own behalf and on behalf of Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, I sincerely thank President Trump for graciously accepting our request for an extension of the ceasefire to allow ongoing diplomatic efforts to take their course.
“With the confidence reposed in it, Pakistan will continue its earnest efforts towards a negotiated settlement of the conflict.
“I sincerely hope that both sides will continue to respect the ceasefire and will be able to conclude a comprehensive ‘peace agreement’ during the second round of talks scheduled in Islamabad to definitively end the conflict,” he said.




