US airports step up Ebola screenings amid outbreak in Africa
U.S. airport health officials are implementing enhanced Ebola screenings for travelers arriving from Congo, Uganda and South Sudan. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is working with airlines to identify possible exposures following more than 130 deaths and nearly 600 suspected cases in Africa. Secretary of State Marco Rubio criticized the response efforts of the CDC and the World Health Organization (WHO).
NEWYou can now listen to PK Press Club articles!
Congo is facing an Ebola outbreak and White House World Cup task force executive director Andrew Giuliani said the Congolese national soccer team must self-isolate if they want to enter the United States for the world tournament.
The United States has told FIFA, the Congolese government and the national soccer team that they must self-isolate for 21 days before entering the country for the World Cup. The team is currently training in Belgium and is expected to play two preparation matches there.
“We have made it very clear to Congo that they have to maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can come to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani told ESPN. “We have also made it very clear to the Congolese government that they must maintain this bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be clearer.”
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON PK Press Club
Meschack Elia of Congo reacts during the 2026 FIFA World Cup play-off final match between DR Congo and Jamaica at Estadio Guadalajara in Zapopan, Mexico on March 31, 2026. (Agustín Cuevas/Getty Images)
“We want to make sure that nothing can enter or come close to our borders on this,” he said.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is monitoring two U.S. doctors who were in quarantine in Europe after being exposed to the Ebola virus, Giuliani said. He said they discussed sending personnel to Belgium to check on the Congo team.
In Congo, last week, an outbreak of Bundibugyo, a rare type of Ebola, was confirmed. It is believed to have killed more than 130 people, with nearly 600 suspected cases.
ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

Lens’ Congolese defender Arthur Masuaku and Malian midfielder Amadou Haidara attend a training session at the Stade de France in Saint-Denis on May 21, 2026, ahead of the Coupe de France final against Nice on May 22, 2026. (Franck Fife/AFP)
“If there are other people coming, they need to have a separate bubble from that team. If they end up coming and one of those people has symptoms, they risk the whole team being able to come and participate in this World Cup,” Giuliani said.
The CDC announced this week that all foreign nationals who have been in Congo, Uganda and South Sudan in the past three weeks will be barred from entering the United States for 30 days.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PK Press Club APP

Renaldo Cephas of Jamaica and Brian Cipenga of Congo compete for the ball during the 2026 FIFA World Cup play-off final at Estadio Guadalajara in Zapopan, Mexico on March 31, 2026. (Agustín Cuevas/Getty Images)
Congo on Wednesday canceled the team’s planned farewell to fans and a three-day training camp to prepare for the World Cup.
Congo is in Group K and is scheduled to face Portugal in its opening match in Houston on June 17. Their next two matches are against Colombia in Guadalajara, Mexico on June 23, and against Uzbekistan in Atlanta on June 27.




