Balochistan transporters suspend mineral loading over security, extortion concerns

The association cites massive losses from burning trucks and forced bribes; ask for a probe

Trucks carrying Afghan nationals deported from Pakistan are parked as refugees wait to be registered at the Omari refugee camp in Mohmand Dara, Torkham border, Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, April 15, 2025. Photo: Reuters

The Balochistan Goods Truck Owners’ Association announced on Tuesday that it would suspend the loading and transportation of chromite, marble and other minerals across the province, citing repeated attacks on vehicles, lack of security and widespread extortion by various elements.

Addressing a press conference at Quetta Press Club, association president Haji Noor Muhammad Shahwani said that transporters suffered losses worth millions of rupees due to burning of trucks and burst tires. He warned that any truck or business owner loading minerals would be solely responsible for any profit or loss.

“From today, no truck will load chromite or marble from Dalbandin, Nokkundi, Muslim Bagh or Loralai,” Shahwani said. However, loading of food products and other general goods will continue as normal.

Read: Tariff rates of Gwadar port reduced

He said attacks had been happening on national highways for a long time. Recent incidents were reported from areas such as Mastung, Khad Kocha, Armagai in Kharan district, Washuk and Khuzdar, where nearly a dozen trucks were targeted. Eight trucks were set on fire while the tires of the others were damaged.

Shahwani complained that neither the mine contractors and owners nor the provincial government had provided support or compensation to the affected transporters, thereby turning the transportation of minerals into an unbearable ordeal.

He further alleged that no highway in Balochistan was safe. The looting took place in broad daylight at gunpoint, with money forcibly removed from trucks and buses. At several checkpoints, including Rukshan, Barori, Barija in Jhal Magsi district, Rakhni and Dana Sar, personnel allegedly forced parked food trucks to return diesel.

The association chief also highlighted the “humiliating” behavior of the officer of the Sakran police station at Hub Chowki towards the transporters. He claimed that trucks and trailers going from Balochistan to Karachi were regularly victims of extortion.

Despite directives issued by the chief minister to end the culture of extortion from police and other departments and remove illegal checkpoints, the practice continued unabated, he added.

Shahwani also raised the issue of a recent fire at the Lakpass customs warehouse, in which transporter vehicles worth billions of rupees were destroyed. He demanded the formation of a high-level inquiry committee under the supervision of the Balochistan High Court to probe the incident and take action against those responsible.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top