Pakistan strikes seven terror camps along Afghan border after recent suicide attacks

Government says it urged Afghan Taliban to stop cross-border attacks, but no action taken

A Pakistani soldier watches over the border fence with Afghanistan. PHOTO:AFP/FILE

ISLAMABAD:

Pakistan has carried out intelligence-based strikes on seven terror camps along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border following a series of recent suicide attacks, including an attack on an imambargah in Islamabad and incidents in Bajaur and Bannu.

In a statement issued early Sunday morning, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said Pakistan had “conclusive evidence” that the attacks were carried out by militants called “Khawarij» at the request of their leaders based in Afghanistan.

“Following the recent suicide attacks in Pakistan, including those at Imam Bargah in Islamabad, one in Bajaur and one in Bannu, followed by another incident today in Bannu during the holy month of Ramazan, Pakistan has conclusive evidence that these acts of terrorism were carried out by Khawarij at the request of their leaders and managers based in Afghanistan,” the ministry said.

The statement added that responsibility for the attacks was claimed by Afghanistan-based members of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), their affiliates and the Islamic State of Khorasan Province (ISKP).

Pakistan said it had repeatedly urged Afghanistan’s interim Taliban authorities to prevent militant groups from using Afghan territory to launch attacks across the border, but said no significant steps had been taken.

“Despite Pakistan’s repeated efforts to urge the Afghan Taliban regime to take verifiable steps to prohibit the use of Afghan territory by terrorist groups and foreign proxies to carry out terrorist activities in Pakistan, the Afghan Taliban regime has not taken any substantive steps against them,” the ministry said.

The statement further said it remains committed to regional peace but will prioritize internal security. “Pakistan has always strived to maintain peace and stability in the region, but at the same time, the safety and security of our citizens remains our top priority,” the text said.

“In this context, Pakistan, in a punitive response, carried out precisely and accurately, intelligence-based selective targeting of seven terrorist camps and hideouts belonging to Pakistani Taliban FAK and its affiliates and ISKP in the border region of Pakistan-Afghan border,” it added.

He further called on the Afghan interim government to shoulder its responsibilities and prevent its territory from being used against Pakistan. “Pakistan hopes and reiterates that the interim Afghan government will fulfill its obligations and refuse the use of its land in Khawarij and terrorists against Pakistan, as the safety and security of the people of Pakistan comes first,” the ministry said.

He urged international stakeholders to put pressure on the Taliban authorities to fulfill their commitments under the Doha agreement.

“Pakistan also expects the international community to play a positive and constructive role in urging the Taliban regime to respect its commitments under the Doha Agreement to refuse the use of its territory against other countries; a vital act for regional and global peace and security,” the statement concluded.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top