NEWYou can now listen to PK Press Club articles!
UEFA has proposed an overhaul of qualifying for the 2030 World Cup and 2032 European Championship that could end disparities between stronger and weaker teams, with a format similar to the Champions League.
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin revealed last year that the reform was planned to revive interest among fans and broadcasters as many traditional men’s qualifying groups had become predictable.
Recent lopsided results that have raised concerns include France’s 14-0 victory over Gibraltar in a Euro 2024 qualifier, and Austria’s 10-0 victory over San Marino last year in a 2026 World Cup qualifier.
On Wednesday, UEFA proposed creating a higher group made up of the 36 highest-ranked teams, divided into three groups of 12 with a format similar to the Champions League.
The teams in these groups would each play six matches against six different opponents and would be ranked in a 12-team ranking. Teams would be drawn into three different seeding pots, playing a weighted schedule of two teams from each pot.
Such a format could fit into existing FIFA-mandated September-November schedules and would not add additional matches to players’ workloads.
The top 36 teams would not face teams ranked Nos. 37 to 55 by UEFA, who could play matches in a separate tier and also have access to the playoffs to qualify for major tournaments.
A decision on the proposed overhaul is expected in September, UEFA said after an executive committee meeting on the sidelines of the Europa League final in Istanbul, Turkey.
“The concept will be refined over the coming months before being submitted for final approval of the detailed format at the next Executive Committee meeting,” UEFA said.
UEFA did not specify how many direct qualification places would be obtained in each group of 12 teams.
The 2030 World Cup, co-hosted mainly by Spain, Portugal and Morocco – with three opening matches in South America – is expected to feature 48 teams. Europe should have 16 qualifying places.
CONMEBOL, the South American football body, has asked FIFA to consider expanding to 64 teams.
Associated Press reporting.




