NEWYou can now listen to PK Press Club articles!
Joey Chestnut will be in Coney Island to defend his famous Nathan’s International Hot Dog Eating Contest on July 4, although he is on probation.
Chestnut pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of battery on April 20 and was sentenced to 180 days of probation in Hamilton County, Indiana.
However, “Jaws” was granted permission to travel out of state, allowing him to compete in the event he has won 17 times, including last year on July 4 in New York. He had already filed petitions to travel outside of Indiana for the hot dog eating contest.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON PK Press Club
Joey Chestnut wins the men’s competition at the annual Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest in New York on July 4, 2025. He returned to compete for a 17th victory after missing the 2024 event due to a sponsorship dispute with Major League Eating. (Adam Gray/Getty Images)
Chestnut, considered one of the best competitive eaters of all time, was accused of slapping a man in the face during a party at an Indiana bar around 2 a.m. on March 21, according to Us Weekly. He later told authorities he was drunk and did not remember the interaction with the man.
The man also claimed he recognized and approached Chestnut while he was at the bar and shook his hand before being slapped on the left side of the face.
JOEY CHESTNUT SENTENCED TO PROBATION AFTER Pleading GUILTY TO SLAPING MAN AT BAR
“The accused fired [the victim] moves forward, gets closer and uses his right hand to strike [the victim] on the face with an open hand. [The victim] is observed reacting to the blow and lowering his head and holding it there while the accused stands over him and [his friend]” the officer said in an affidavit obtained by Us Weekly. “[Chestnut] is heading towards [the victim] again and again [the victim] moves away from the accused.
“The touching was naked, insolent or angry because the open hand strike was not consensual to the victim in a way that caused pain while the defendant allegedly used provocative language towards the victim to provoke a reaction.”
Chestnut’s lawyer, Mario Massillamany, said his client took “full responsibility for this misunderstanding,” the outlet reported.

Joey Chestnut wins the men’s competition at the annual Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest in New York on July 4, 2025. He returned to compete for a 17th victory after missing the 2024 event due to a sponsorship dispute with Major League Eating. (Adam Gray/Getty Images)
Chestnut will be seeking his 18th title in his last 19 attempts, although he might have had another if not for Nathan’s ban from competition in 2024. He had signed a deal with Nathan’s rival, Impossible Foods, before the competition.
But Chestnut and event organizers found common ground on sponsorships ahead of the 2025 competition.
He then consumed 70.5 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes.

Joey Chestnut grabbed a protester by the neck who interrupted the 2022 Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island, New York, on July 4, 2022. (Tayfun Coskun/Anadolu via Getty Images)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PK Press Club APP
Now that he’s entered for the competition, Chestnut should be the big favorite. He is also coming off a victory at the 2026 Ultimate Bologna Showdown in Tennessee, winning the event three years in a row now. Chestnut ate 16 pounds of sausage in eight minutes, setting a new world record.




