As health authorities in the DRC and Uganda respond to this deadly resurgence, the UN is also helping to strengthen preparedness and raise awareness among at-risk communities.
UN aid workers have been at work since the outbreak was declared on May 15 in the eastern DRC province of Ituri.
Within 72 hours, the World Health Organization (WHO) book 11.5 tonnes of medical supplies and equipment from the capital, Kinshasa, and from its regional hubs in Dakar and Nairobi.
Supplies included personal protective equipment, medical kits and tents. Water, sanitation and hygiene items were also provided to help prevent infection and support effective case management.
Support for UN missions
WHO said collaboration with partner organizations and the private sector has been crucial.
The UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC, known as MONUSCO, quickly deployed its air assets to support Congolese authorities and UN agencies.
As of Sunday, MONUSCO established an “airlift” to transport WHO emergency supplies from Nairobi to Bunia, capital of Ituri province. Four vehicles and two motorcycles were also sent to the city to reinforce logistical efforts on the ground.
On Wednesday, the mission airlifted nearly 30 tons of supplies in Bunia.
Peacekeepers raise awareness
MONUSCO’s response extends beyond logistics as its peacekeepers actively carry out community awareness campaigns.
On Monday, the “blue helmets” were in Tchabi, located in the territory of Illumi, about 120 kilometers from Bunia, to inform dozens of residents on the main preventive measures such as personal hygiene and the risks linked to the consumption of bush meat.
A similar exercise was conducted the following day in Fataki, targeting displaced people and local communities.
Teams used loudspeakers to emphasize the importance of regular hand washing, proper use of protective equipment and recognizing Ebola symptoms.
“These initiatives aim to improve community preparedness, reduce panic and protect vulnerable populationsin line with MONUSCO’s civil protection mandate,” the UN mission said.
The health emergency adds to the hunger crisis
The outbreak is worsening an already serious humanitarian situation in eastern DRC, the World Food Program (WFP) warned, where armed groups have been active for decades.
This comes at a particularly dangerous time for the country as a whole, as 26.5 million people nationwide already face acute food insecurity.
This includes 10 million people in Ituri and three other eastern provinces suffering from severe famine caused by conflict and displacement.
In Ituri alone, some 1.7 million people – more than a third of the population – are in crisis or experiencing even more severe levels of hunger.
Providing life-saving help
“Indeed, the epicenter of the current health crisis is located in the heart of WFP operational areas in eastern DRCpositioning us to play a key role in supporting the global response,” the UN agency said.
“We are already providing vital assistance across multiple pillars, including support for frontline health workers to safely carry out response efforts. »
WFP is facilitating the transport of humanitarian workers, medical supplies and essential goods to hard-to-reach areas and is ready to scale up its efforts.
It also provides essential logistics services on behalf of the wider humanitarian community, in addition to providing food and nutrition assistance to patients, survivors, contacts and affected households.
WFP currently requires more than $214 million to support its operations in the DRC, and more than $10 million specifically for the Ebola response.
Concern for children
Separately, UNICEF, the United Nations children’s rights agency, has expressed concern for children as they “are particularly vulnerable to the impacts of Ebola outbreaks, including disruptions to essential services, loss of parents and guardians, stigma, psychosocial distress and increased protection risks.”
UNICEF’s support so far has involved mobilizing nearly 50 tonnes of supplies, including disinfectants and soaps, personal protective equipment, water purification tablets and water tanks.
An emergency rapid response team is also en route to Bunia to provide technical assistance in priority areas, including support for risk communication and community engagement.
Although more than 2,000 community health workers are already in place, additional capacity and resources are urgently needed, particularly in hard-to-reach areas.
Rare strain
The DRC has fought Ebola 17 times since the virus was discovered 50 years ago. The latest outbreak was caused by the rare Bundibugyo strain, and no vaccine or medicine currently exists to treat it.
To date, there have been 139 deaths in the DRC and some 600 suspected cases, while Uganda has confirmed two cases.
The WHO has declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern – requiring countries to coordinate and cooperate in responding – but not a pandemic emergency.




