Two schoolboys killed in drone strike in Bajaur of KP

The incident took place when the children were returning from school after finishing their lessons.

Two schoolboys were killed in a drone strike in Shah Tangi area of ​​Mamund tehsil in Bajaur district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa on Thursday, police said.

Deputy Commissioner of Police Niaz Muhammad confirmed the incident and said the injured were immediately taken to hospital; however, both children succumbed to their injuries along the way.

According to sources on site, the incident occurred when the children were returning from school after finishing their lessons.

Read: 3 injured in terrorist drone attack on cricket ground in Bajaur of KP

The deceased were identified as 10-year-old Hassan, son of Israr, and a 12-year-old boy, son of local religious scholar Maulana Mumtaz.

The incident sparked panic in the neighborhood, with residents strongly condemning the strike and demanding a transparent investigation.

Sources said grief gripped the affected families, while a large number of local residents gathered at the site after the incident.

The origin of the quadcopter and those responsible for the attack remain to be established.

Earlier this month, at least three people were injured in a drone terror attack on a cricket ground in the same area of ​​Mamund.

Last month, while addressing a jirga, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Sohail Afridi condemned the drone strikes, with the gathering rejecting what he described as the recurring pattern of civilian deaths being seen as mistakes.

The jirga, which displayed rare political unity and included Treasury and opposition lawmakers representing tribal districts, condemned continued drone strikes in the region and decided to convene a series of rallies on the issue.

Addressing the gathering, the chief minister said civilian deaths caused by both terrorism and drone attacks were unacceptable.

“People in tribal areas cannot be made to pay double price for their lives,” he said. “Neither terrorism nor the deaths of civilians in drone strikes can be justified. »

Also read: KP Jirga rejects drone strikes, announces emergency meeting

“Despite modern technology, the continued loss of innocent lives due to so-called errors is unacceptable, regardless of the circumstances,” Gandapur added. “Apologies cannot compensate for the lives lost. The damage is irreparable.”

Earlier this month, following public outrage in his constituency over drone attacks, the chief minister hinted at introducing legislation to criminalize collateral damage resulting from such incidents.

“We held a meeting to introduce a law against drone attacks, but ‘they’ protected themselves in the Constitution against drone attacks…However, we can legislate against collateral damage,” he said during a session of the KP Assembly convened to discuss the issue.

The chief minister claimed that every time he protested against a drone strike, he received a message saying that “they” understood the situation and were sorry, without elaborating.

Later, a large Loya Jirga comprising tribal elders agreed to form a smaller representative jirga to negotiate with the federal government and other stakeholders on behalf of the people of the merged districts of KP.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top