- Consumers are invited to click on a specific link: spokesperson.
- Says criminals using QR codes to achieve malicious goals.
- LEAs have been informed of these illegal activities: spokesperson.
ISLAMABAD: The Electricity Division of the Ministry of Power on Friday warned consumers against criminal elements trying to steal data through fraudulent links linked to the government’s electricity subsidy scheme.
In a notice, a Power Division spokesperson said consumers are asked to click on a specific link and follow a four-step process to share personal information, followed by entering a six-digit code.
Some elements also use QR codes to achieve malicious purposes, the spokesperson said, adding that no consumer information related to electricity bills can be submitted on any platform other than the official system.
The spokesperson clarified that these data collection methods were illegal and that law enforcement had been informed of the criminal elements involved in these activities.
Citizens are advised not to enter any information digitally or on paper for grant purposes outside of authorized channels.
Separately, the Power division spokesperson said that a technical problem on the website lasted for two days, but has now been resolved after the server capacity was increased.
The QR system is working normally without any problems, he said, adding that more than 1 million users have already completed their registration.
The spokesperson further said that houses with multiple meters in the name of different family members were counted as separate families in the system.




