CDF Munir meets Iranian President Pezeshkian for high-level talks to advance diplomacy

Pakistan’s mediation efforts with Iran resulted in ‘positive and constructive’ talks as CDF Munir meets Iranian leaders

Chief of Army Staff and Chief of Defense Forces Field Marshal Asim Munir met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian in Tehran for high-level talks to advance diplomatic initiatives. PHOTO: PRESSTV SUR

Chief of Defense Force and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir concluded his “very productive” visit to Iran, which resulted in “encouraging progress” towards a final agreement on the framework of a deal with the United States following intensive negotiations with Tehran, the military’s media wing said on Saturday.

According to a statement issued by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), CDF Munir concluded a short but “very productive” official visit to Iran.

“During the visit, the Marshal held high-level engagements with Iranian leaders as part of ongoing mediation efforts aimed at promoting de-escalation and constructive engagement, amid regional tensions that have been simmering following the April 8, 2026 ceasefire,” the statement added.

Read: Iran says US ‘betrayals, contradictions and excessive demands’ disrupt negotiations

He added that CDF Munir visited Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni.

“Discussions remained focused on accelerating the ongoing consultative process to support peace and stability in the region and reach a conclusive agreement,” the statement said.

According to the ISPR, the discussions took place in a positive and constructive environment and contributed significantly to the mediation process.

“Intensive negotiations over the past twenty-four hours have resulted in encouraging progress towards a final agreement,” he said, adding that Iranian leaders appreciated Pakistan’s role in the process.

“Iranian leaders appreciated Pakistan’s sincere and constructive role in facilitating dialogue and promoting peaceful settlement of regional issues,” the statement said.

Earlier, upon his arrival, CDF Munir was received by the Iranian Interior Minister, along with senior civil and military officials.

Reuters reported that Iran’s top negotiator and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf told CDF Munir in a meeting that Iran will not compromise on the rights of his nation and country, state television reported.

He said Iran’s armed forces had rebuilt their capabilities during the ceasefire and that if the United States “foolishly resumed war,” the consequences would be “more crushing and bitter.”

The marshal arrived in Tehran on Friday as part of ongoing mediation efforts. He was received and warmly welcomed by the Iranian Interior Minister, Eskandar Momeni. Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi was also present at the function.

In recent months, Pakistan has attracted international attention for its involvement in mediation efforts between Iran and the United States amid the Middle East crisis.

On February 28, the United States and Israel launched a joint offensive against Iran. Tehran retaliated by striking Israel and other Gulf countries harboring U.S. assets.

Pakistan then positioned itself as a key peace broker, brokering a two-week ceasefire and hosting the highest level U.S.-Iran talks since the 1979 Islamic Revolution. Although the “Islamabad Talks” ended without an agreement, the ceasefire was maintained and then extended at Islamabad’s request.

Since then, the two sides have exchanged proposals and counter-proposals in an effort to reach common ground and resume a second round of direct talks aimed at ending the conflict, which has already disrupted global energy supplies and daily life in the region.

Although Pakistan remains hopeful of a resumption of direct negotiations, sources said there has been no “significant” change in Iran’s previous position on the nuclear issue in its response to the US proposals.

According to sources, Tehran’s response – delivered to the United States via Islamabad last week – focused mainly on an “immediate” end to hostilities, with “little results”. [in it] in terms of Washington’s fundamental demand regarding Iran’s nuclear program.

Iran, the sources added, has proposed “broader and separate” talks on the nuclear issue, citing its “complexity.”

However, Tehran “reiterated” its desire to stop uranium enrichment for a period of five years, while rejecting Washington’s request for a 20-year moratorium, according to the sources.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top